- COMPANY:Watsontown Brick Company
- PHONE NUMBERS:Emergency 570 538 2555 General Information 570 538 2555
- DATE PREPARED:August 2009
B. PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION
- PRODUCT NAME(S):Brick
- CHEMICAL NAME:Mixture
- CHEMICAL FAMILY:Predominatly aluminum silicates
C. PRODUCT COMPONENT(S)
|COMPONENTS||% BY CAS NO.||ACQIH WEIGHT||OSHA TLV||PEL|
|ALUMINUM SILICATES||VARIOUS||2-20||10 MG/M³||15 MG/M³|
|IRON COMPOUNDS||VARIOUS||1-10||10 MG/M³||10 MG/M³|
|CALCIUM COMPOUNDS||VARIOUS||1-10||15 MG/M³||15 MG/M³|
|QUARTZ||14808-60-7||VARIES||0.1 MG/M³ (RESPIRABLE)||10 MG/M³ %SIO2+2(RESPIRABLE)|
D. PERSONAL PROTECTION INFORMATION
- VENTILATION:When sawing a brick, use adequate ventilation to maintain exposure below the OSHA PEL and ACQIH TLV.
- RESPIRATORY PROTECTION:For concentrations exceeding the OSHA PEL or ACQIH TLV, use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator.
- EYE PROTECTION:Use safety glasses with side shields. Face shields should also be used where dry sawing of brick occurs.
- SKIN PROTECTION:Use gloves and/or protective clothing if abrasion or allergic reactions are expereinced.
- OTHER:Wear steel-toed safety shoes. A wet saw is recommended for sawing brick.
E. HANDLING AND STORAGE PRECAUTION
Avoid dust inhalation, eye contact and excessive or prolonged skin contact. Wear protective equipment and/or garments described in section D if exposure conditions warrant.
F. REACTIVITY DATA
- STABILITY:stable xunstable
- CONDITIONS TO AVOID:none known
- INCOMPATIBILITY (MATERIALS TO AVOID):none known
- HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION:may occurwill not occur X
- Conditions to avoid: none known
- HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS:none known
G. HEALTH HAZARD DATA*
Recommended exposure limits: see section c
- ACUTE EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE:Eye: may cause mild to severe irritation by abrasion with dust or chips.
Skin: brick dusts or chips may cause allergic reactions. Excessive exposure may result in abrasions.
Inhalation: brick dusts or chips may cause congestion and irritation in nasal and respiratory passages.
Ingestion: none known.
- SUBCHRONIC AND CHRONIC EFFECTS OF OVEREXPOSURE:Excessive exposure to particulates (dust) over an extended period of time may result in the development of Pulmonary diseases.
- CARCINOGENICITY:NTP classifies respirable crystalline silica as a known carcinogen. Iarc classifies respirable crystalline silica (Quartz/cristobolite) as a group 1 carcinogen.
- FIRST AID AND EMERGENCY PROCEDURES:Eye: flush eyes with running water. Obtain medical assistance if irritation continues.
Inhalation: remove from exposure to airborne particulate. Consult a physician if breathing does not return to normal.
Skin: wash with soap and water. If an allergic reaction causes a rash that does not heal in an apprpriate time, consult a physician. Treat abrasions as any other scrape or cut, with disinfectants and bandages.
- MEDICAL CONDITIONS AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE:Excessive dust exposure may aggravate any existing respiratory disorders or diseases. Possible complications of allergies resulting in irritation to skin, eyes and respiratory passages my accour from excessive exposure to dusts.
H. PHYSICAL DATA
- APPERANCE AND ODER:granular solid, essentially odorless, wide range of colors.
- BOILING POINT:NA
- SPECIFIC GRAVITY 1H2O = 1:2.6 (Approximate)
- VAPOR PRESSURE:NA
- PERCENT VOLATILE BY VOLUME:NA
- SOLUBILITY IN WATER:negligible
- EVAPORATION RATE(ethyl ether = 1):NA
The dust generated from dry sawing brick may contain silica and may be a potential health problem for the lungs.
I. FIRE AND EXPLOSION DATA
- FLASH POINT:NA
- FLAMMABLE LIMITS 1% BY VOLUME IN AIR:LEL NA VEL NA
- FIRE EXTINGUISHING MEDIA:NA
- SPECIAL FIRE FGHTING PROCEDURES:NA
- FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARDS:NA
J. SPILL OF LEAK PROCEDURES
The only concern is to control dusts.
K. WASTE DISPOSAL
This material is classed as a non-hazardous solid waste for disposal.
L. RCRA CLASSIFICATIONNA
M. DOT SHIPPING DATANA
N. PROTECTION REQUIRED FOR WORK ON CONTAMINATED EQUIDMENTNA
O. HAZARD CLASSIFICATION
XThis product meets the following hazard definition(s) as defined by the Occupational Safety and Health Hazard Communication standard section 1810.1200:Combustible liquid
Water reactivexflammable aerosol
Based on information presently available, this product does not meet any of the hazard definitions of 29 cfr section 1910.1200.
P. SARA (TITLE III) REPORTS
Components of this product that are subject to the reporting requirements of section 313 of SARA and 40 CFR Part 372: NA
Components of this product that are included in the SARA Extremely Hazardous Substance list 140 CFR Part 356): NA
Q. OTHER INFORMATION
- NA – Not ApplicableNE – Not Established